Thursday, January 15, 2009

Vintage vs. Obsolete

I can not remember what the name of this PowerPoint-like slideshow program for Macs is. We used it in elementary school, but not middle school. The year was 1996-ish. I have to wonder if it was specifically made for children, a la Kid Pix. The interface was extremely user- (read: kid-) friendly.

I just did like twenty Google searches for it: "Apple software 1990s", "Clarisworks", "Slideshow applications". My hands are empty. I have literally come up empty-handed.

In slightly-related news, Apple is 31 years old.

In less-related news, I am addicted to StumbleUpon. If you're not familiar, it's a toolbar that you download and install in your web browser. After making an account and inventorying your interests, you can click the "Stumble!" button, and it will load a webpage or site that is related to your interests. From there, you can click the thumbs-up button, showing you like the page and would like to see more pages like the current page you're on, or you can click the thumbs-down button, and Stumble won't pull up pages like that for you anymore. You can also send pages to your friends on StumbleUpon or any email address using the Stumble toolbar. You can stumble categories, type in a tag, or stumble your friends's favorites. You can also stumble photos or videos exclusively. It's fantastic. It has changed the way I use the internet. I like it because I learn a lot about things I am interested in or passionate about, often through news pages that have been created the same day.

Well, I have four Stumbles my friends have sent me in the past twenty minutes. I can't help but to click that button. Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. StumbleUpon and Del.icio.us remind me of similar content, especially with connections they have on many news sites. Kid Pix, ah, memories of amusing programs. I am still blank on that former program, which is quite frustrating! Keep looking or ask on forums because somewhere, someone knows.

    ReplyDelete